Fast games for slow summer news weeks... but actually some of these news are a bit older already also :p
To start out... yes RedEclipse got a (smaller) new release a few days ago, codenamed Supernova (Version 1.1). The release notes can be found in our/their forums, but it plays as great as before (except for the annoying hit sound :p ). Edit: game-play video from one of our forum users.
Noteworthy news related to that (albeit not strictly FOSS related): RedEclipse also got included into Desura now (Moddb's indie friendly answer to Steam, even with an upcoming Linux port). To avoid complains in the comments... I mention this here even though it is a closed source game distribution platform, simply because it can be a great way to promote (and maybe even sell?) FOSS games, and if we would finally be able to attract the modding community (which is largely represented on Moddb) to work with FOSS engines instead, it would be win-win for everyone involved.
Despite its unfree content War§ow is also worth a look now and then. According to their somewhat recent blog entries they have made great progress in speeding up the Quake2 based renderer, and plan to include a matchmaking and statistics system in the maybe not so distant 0.7 release. It's actually a pity that the engine isn't used for other projects, and given that it is Quake2 based, it could probably be ported to mobile platforms like Android rather quickly (since there is a full and fast Quake2 Java port).
Talking about mobile platforms... the engine behind Xonotic (formerly Nexuiz) Darkplaces, seems to have gotten an iOS port judging by a quick look at the very recent new source release. No news post about the most recent changes, but slightly older news tell us about a much higher frame rate then before :) Would be nice if Xonotic would see another Beta release soon also ;)
Oh and I know I will get flamed for this again (e.g. for mentioning a commercial game on this blog; but I stand by my opinion that commercial isn't != FOSS), but the Darkplaces based and GPLed source-code containing SteelStorm: Burning Retribution, has been added as a free bonus to the latest HumbleBundle (at the time of writing this, with still 5 days remaining to get this "pay what you want" indie-game-bundle including some really nice games all running on Linux). Just to quickly mention... no news about source releases from that source this time (but they added all of the games from the 2nd bundle if you pay above average)... but given the somewhat lukewarm source releases last time (not really FOSS) I guess that is not a big loss :-/
Hmm what else? World of Padman was somewhat recently updated, and its engine ioQuake3 is moving to a modularized renderer.
AND LAST BUT NOT LEAST (hot news coming in while I am writing this)... John Carmack just confirmed in his keynote on this year's QuakeCon, that the Doom3 source code will be released this year (probably shortly after the Rage release scheduled early October)... which will be a really nice addition to the FOSS engine pool (finally a somewhat modern single player FPS engine). I am especially looking forward to see some of the existing high quality Doom3 mods to go stand alone, and maybe even FOSS!
- 12 Shio - Karakter berdasarkan Zodiak Binatang Cin...
- Flightgear 2.4 plus something cuddly and something...
- Planets are a nice thing...
- AI War Beta 5.015, "Martyred Forcefields," Release...
- Track Us/DIYGamer Down At PAX Prime, Get A Free Ga...
- Dragon Ball Z Sagas( Full/255mb)
- PyWeek 13 (And PyWeek 12 Winners)
- BZFlag Tournament hosted by Ohava Open Computers
- Tidalis 85% Off On Steam
- Digital Hippos and DarkstarMatryx Review Tidalis
- AI War LP Videos
- News Shorts
- PES 6 RIP
- Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
- Megaman X8 RIP [MediaFire]
- Keeping up a tradition...
- On OpenGameArt 2 and FreeSound 2
- AVWW: New Character Models, Time Period Details, a...
- 30 Hal Untuk Membuat Cewek Tersenyum
- Open Source in Humble Indie Bundle #3: Haaf's Game...
- LinWarrior r19+
- Cubosphere: First Beta
- Solusi Islam Atas Kemiskinan
- Setan Spesialis Wudhu
- Some random FPS engine news
- AI War Beta 5.014, "Bulk Rate Starships," Released...
- 5 Ciri-ciri Cwo Selingkuh
- 9 Cara Mudah Mengenali Profil Palsu di Facebook
- NO SMOKING ! !, Tidak Merokok Karena Allah
- Nasihat dalam Membesarkan Anak
- Mukjizat Terbesar Nabi Muhammad SAW
- Menghadapi Kebingungan Dan Kegelisahan
- Kiat Memulai Hidup Baru
- Keutamaan Al Quran yang disebut dalam Hadits
- Keistimewaan hari Jum'at
- Jangan Gembira atas Prestasi Taatmu
- Islam Memuliakan Wanita
- Iblis dan Islam
- Hakikat Dzikir
- Hadits Tentang Sakit dan Mengunjungi Orang Sakit
- Etika Bergaul
- Dahsyatnya Sakaratul Maut, Siapkah kita untuk meng...
- Awali Hari Dengan Sholat Dhuha
- Adab Berjalan Ke Masjid Dan Bacaan Sewaktu Masuk D...
- 60 Pintu Pahala Dan Pelebur Dosa
- Wanita yang Selalu Berbicara Dengang Al Quran
- Yang Terindah
- Toko Kebahagiaan
- Si Ceria dan Si Murung
- Sebutir Pasir
- Pohon Tua
- Mengenal, Lebih Penting!
- Ketika Jendela Hati Menembus Dinding Tembok
- Jadilah Pelita
- Ingat bebek
- Hidup Yang Lebih Bermakna
- Bersiap Menghadapi Kehilangan
- Apa Yang Telah Saya Lakukan Sampai Saya Harus Meng...
- Bagaimanapun Aku Mencintaimu
- Surga Anak-Anak
- Renungan (nice story)
- Menggapai Cinta Rabbani
- Mencari Ilmu Kesaktian
- Istri Sholehah
- Berapa Lamakah Kita Di Kubur?
- Yang Berharga Yang Terlupa
- Hati Tak Bertuan
- D o ` a
- Duri dalam Diri
- Dirajai Malam
- D e b u
- Dari dalam dirimu
- Bumi pun Bicara
- Bila Tiba Waktu Berpisah
- Pemahaman Islam, Iman dan Ihsan
- Menulis dan Mempublikasikan Blog Di Ms. Word 2007
- AI War Beta 5.013, "Resurgent Underdogs," Released...
- ▼ August (78)
- ► 2010 (302)
- ► 2009 (209)
- ► 2008 (156)