In a bold (desperate?) move the guys behind the nearly completely FOSS but still commercial MMORPG Ryzom have decided to make their game free-to-play, but with some smaller limitations (which are supposed to make you buy a subscription at some later point of course ;) ).
We mentioned it before, but Ryzom also runs fine under Linux (as seen above), and check out their developers page, and art asset repository if you are thinking about contributing.
Personally I feel the game shows it's age a bit too much on the desktop platform, but a mobile version (lets say on Maemo and Android) could really shine and attract a lot of users. But now is your chance to try it out as long as you like ;)
- AI War LotS Review on Indie Game Reviewer
- A Valley Without Wind: First Public Release Now Be...
- Pantai Soka
- Dev-corner: 48-hour Reddit Game Jam Postmortem
- AI War Beta 5.009, "Desync II: The Resyncing," Rel...
- A Valley Without Wind: Interiors, Lighting, Crafti...
- Tiny game: Stop the Zombies!
- AI War Beta 5.008, "Bad Robot, No Cookie," Release...
- AI War Beta 5.007, "Zombies Are For Eating My Neig...
- AI War Beta 5.006, "Raiders Of The Lost Desync," R...
- Dev-corner: Making unlicensed fan games -- why you...
- Dev-corner: Bart K. explains (and rants about) C/C...
- AI War Review on i-luv-games.com
- Dev-corner: Primer to texture creation
- Monument Bajra Sandhi
- 12 Misteri Dunia Belum Terkuak
- Pelecing kangkung dari pulau Lombok
- Pantai Kuta (Bali)
- Xonotic Player Interviews
- Sintel The Game mini-update
- AI War Beta 5.005, "The Balancer," Released!
- AI War Beta 5.004, "The RAMinator," Released!
- Red Eclipse 1.0
- Pantai Padang Bai ( Bali )
- Spaced Out - Vega Strike and Pioneer betas plus Mu...
- Reddit Game Jam 06 (March 25 to 27)
- 10 Stadium Terbesar Di Dunia
- Holy Crap! M.A.R.S. 0.7.0!
- SDL job offer, open art funding opportunities, tin...
- News from 0 A.D.
- icculus @ Flourish! 2011: Gaming and Linux - also ...
- FPS release weekend?
- Ryzom now nearly free to play
- Besiege - 3D RTS (Java/Ardor 3D)
- ManicDigger & ArdorCraft - Open Source Minecraft-l...
- PyWeek 12 is upon us! - Also: Python Game Book wik...
- AI War Beta 5.003 Released!
- Blender Game Engine Air race
- OpenDungeons: Huge Progress
- Desa Batubulan
- as3sfxr-b: evil (flash) sound machine
- Denpasar City
- AVWW: Energy Lance Spell, Multiplayer Benchmark, M...
- FLARE leaping forward to 0.11 .. and problems with...
- Mapping for Purity
- Maratis - Simple 3D Game Editor
- Terrain Editing in WorldForge
- Techne, Aviation & Airrace slash community-funded ...
- Inside a Star-Filled Sky (Public Domain For-Pay) +...
- ▼ March (50)
- ► 2010 (302)
- ► 2009 (209)
- ► 2008 (156)