Arcen Games is pleased to show off several new additions, improvements, and changes for our upcoming survival action-adventure title A Valley Without Wind. We have a variety of items to update on this week, including interior generation, a reworking of the game's story and setting, settlement changes, implementation of new features such as Explorer NPCs and Evil Outposts, and much more.
To start, there have been some major shifts in AVWW's story and setting that we'd like to share. We are keeping the broken-earth setting and former ice age focus for the title, but the real-world future setting has been replaced. Instead the game is now set in a purely fantasy world called Environ -- taking place in the year 888. We feel that exchanging the reality-based future setting for a more fantasy/sci-fi mix (that still keeps elements from the real world) gives us a lot more flexibility as we put together the major themes of the title. More details on the new developments, including a basic timeline for the known history of Environ, can be found on our updated feature page for A Valley Without Wind.
Onward from that, we've made a rather significant breakthrough in terms of the creation and generation of AVWW's interiors. Interior procedural-generation was a troublesome task that others have solved in various ways, but which nobody seemed to have solved in the specific way that was needed for the game. So our lead programmer Chris Park has come up with a moderately new approach to the problem, basing part of his work on how the issue in a roguelike is dealt with, resulting in some very interesting and varied interior floorplans at this stage. In a month or two when it's further polished, Arcen will be releasing the C# source code for our interior generator as open source under the MIT license, so that others can make use of it. Chris has written up a technical outline in this developer journal thoroughly explaining the step-by-step process of the program for those interested.
Many other additions and improvements have found their way into A Valley Without Wind as well. The game now makes use of the helpful Explorer NPC's and the not-so-helpful Evil Outposts, there's been major progress to settlements and the Minimap, and lots of new and upgraded visuals have been added as well. We could go on all day, but the title's new animation test video does a much tidier job illustrating some of the aforementioned items. While a complete explanation on everything that's been touched on can be found in our latest Games By Design post.
For more info about the title and what else Arcen Games is working on, make sure to check out our recent interview on Gnome's Lair. A Valley Without Wind is currently targeted for official release on PC and Mac in October 2011, with a playable Beta build available to pre-order customers coming this summer.
About Arcen Games
Arcen Games entered the PC indie scene in 2009 with their cult classic AI War: Fleet Command, which was named the 40th best-reviewed PC game of the year by MetaCritic. Their second year was a busy one, seeing the release of The Zenith Remnant, the first full expansion for AI War; Tidalis, an innovative block-based puzzle with casual appeal and hardcore depth; and Children of Neinzul, a micro-expansion for AI War with all profits benefiting the Child's Play charity, of which Arcen is a platinum sponsor.
AI War's third and largest expansion Light of the Spire marked Arcen's first release of 2011, and now the company has shifted its focus and excitement to the development of A Valley Without Wind. Originally a one-man shop, Arcen Games has grown to have half a dozen part-time or fulltime contributors to its various titles. For all the latest news, media coverage, and some of our other musings, follow us on our developer and individual game pages on Facebook or on Twitter: @ArcenGames.
- Hiren’s BootCD 14.0
- Sungguh Allah Ta'ala Maha Pemurah
- Siksaan Dunia Akhirat (Bagi Pemutus Silaturrahim d...
- Sihir Termasuk Perbuatan Syetan
- Seputar Ta'addud (Poligami) : merelakan giliran ke...
- Semua Amal Perbuatan Tergantung Kepada Niatnya
- Sebagian dari Akhlaq Rasulullah shallallahu 'alaih...
- Sabar Dan Keutamaannya
- Rumah-Rumah di Surga
- Perintah Untuk Berinfaq Dari Yang Halal Dan Larang...
- Perintah Ber-Istiqomah dalam Beragama
- Orang yang Bangkrut di Akhirat
- Mencintai saudara se-iman melebihi cinta kepada di...
- Menceritakan Aib Orang Lain
- Mencegah Kemunkaran
- Larangan Menikah Tanpa Wali
- Kezaliman Adalah Kegelapan diHari Kiamat
- Keutamaan Membaca Shalawat Atas Nabi Shallallahu '...
- Kebenaran Nubuat Rasulullah Dan Fenomena Tahun Bar...
- Kayu Bakar Api Neraka
- Jangan Bergaul Dengan Ahli Bid'ah
- Hakikat Sifat Malu
- Hakikat Haji Yang Mabrur Dan Balasanya
- Hak Suami Atas Isteri
- Hak Isteri Atas Suami
- Etika Memakai Sandal Dan Sepatu
- Dzikir Dan Macam-Macamnya
- Cinta dan mengikuti Rasulullah shallallahu 'alaihi...
- Berpuasa Bagi Musafir
- Beberapa Pendapat Imam Madzhab Tentang Hadits Nabi...
- Barangsiapa Yang Berhaji Tetapi Belum Berziarah Ke...
- Anjuran Untuk menutup Kekurangan kaum Muslimin Dan...
- Anjuran melakukan perintah Rasul sesuai kemampuan,...
- Ancaman Bagi Orang Yang Tidak Berpuasa Di Bulan Ra...
- LibriVox Hacked
- Membuat Label Dengan Fungsi Scroll
- Membuat Vertical Sliding Info Panel Dengan JQuery
- Cara membuat efek salju di blog
- Membuat Widget Random Post Pada Blog
- Cara Membuat Related Post / Posting Terkait
- Part 10 (Saya Mau Komplain)
- Part 9 (buku horror bis malam penasaran)
- Part 8 (Bagaimana Cara Kamu Menjual Buku Sebanyak ...
- Part 7 (Pintu Yang Selalu Terbuka)
- Part 6 (Jenderal Angkatan Udara dan Anak Kecil Yan...
- Part 5 (Saya Senang Dengan Cara Berpikir Bu Guru)
- Part 4 (Serahkan Semua Ini Pada Yang di Atas)
- Part 3 (Itu Adalah Pertanyaan Yang Sangat Sederhan...
- Part 11 (Gue Udah Tau)
- Part 2 (Lalu Kenapa Dengan Mata Kananmu?)
- Part 1
- Cara Membuat Headline News Blog
- PARPG Infrastructure Sprint: Content Creation Refa...
- A Valley Without Wind: Setting, Interior Generatio...
- Let pixel maps do the talking
- Assorted strategy game news
- Membuat Widget Menjadi Auto Hide
- Newton Physics Open Source!
- LanPower Game Key v2
- Sound Walk #1: BOFH
- Menambah Big Social Bookmark dibawah posting
- Naev Sound and Xonotic Map Devolution
- Menghilangkan Tanggal Posting
- Membuat Judul Blog Bergerak
- Ganti tulisan "Read More" dengan gambar
- Membuat Readmore Otomatis di Blog
- Membuat Widget Multi Halaman/TabView
- Membuat Link Berubah Warna dan Membesar Ketika di ...
- Membuat Widget Daftar Isi
- Announcing The AI War Alien Bundle And AI War Two ...
- FlightGear at LinuxTag 2011
- Membuat GuestBox / Shoutmix Tersembunyi
- Cara membuat iklan melayang dengan tombol close
- Efek Daun Berguguran di Blog
- Menambahkan Effect Hujan Salju Berwarna di Blog
- Membuat Link Pelangi
- Jquery Multi Level Menu Horizontal
- Recent Post Dengan Thumbnail
- Pemanasan Global (Global Warming)
- Pencemaran Suara (IPA)
- Pencemaran udara (IPA)
- Pencemaran air (IPA)
- Pencemaran Tanah (IPA)
- Definisi terorisme
- Brutal Gamer Interviews Arcen Games
- Tidalis (Mac) Reviewed on Brutal Gamer
- New AVWW Q&A, Facebook Page, and Preview by Jordan...
- Remember Iris2?
- Open Source Games Still Alive
- Gluon CreatorThe Gluon project isA 2D game creatio...
- Goblin Camp
- AGS: Adventure Game Studio open sourced
- Cashflow for Open Game Projects via Flattr without...
- Pax Britannica: One-button RTS!
- Libre Graphics Meeting 10-13 May 2011, Blendswap v...
- Graphs & Virgins: Evil Cult
- A Valley Without Wind Update #10: Overworld Maps, ...
- CC Fantasy Portrait Marathon Update!
- ▼ May (99)
- ► 2010 (302)
- ► 2009 (209)
- ► 2008 (156)